Today’s passage: 1 Corinthians 7:17-24
- In the same way that a person who had become a Christian should not seek to divorce their unbelieving spouse (Previous verses), all Christians are encouraged in this passage to continue in whatever surroundings they are in (Within reason) to shine the light of Christ.
- Your family, your neighborhood, your workplace, etc. can be seen as places and people to whom the Lord has purposely placed you so that the Gospel message can be heard!
- Being a bondservant or slave in Corinth during the time of the writing of this letter was a far different experience than we know of from American history. All the same, Paul still encouraging slaves to purchase their freedom if they were able.
- This should encourage anyone who is in a wrong, sinful, or abusive situation to understand, Paul’s exhortation to “remain in the condition you are in” should not be seen as a command to remain in those dangerous conditions.
Questions to consider:
- What appears to be the heart of Paul’s message in these verses? What are Christians to be and to do with the people they are around in life (Matthew 5:13-16)?
- What are the “Conditions you are in? Who lives near you in your neighborhood? Who do you see at work or at school? Who are your family members?
- How can you be praying for and seeking to communicate the gospel with these people with whom God has purposely placed you?