Today’s passage: 1 Kings 13:1-10
- Bethel was one of the two locations (The other being Dan) where Jeroboam had set up the altars with the golden calves for worship.
- This prophecy was fulfilled over three hundred years later! (2 Kings 23:15-20)
- The man of God reveals extra instructions he had received directly from God. This information will be essential to understanding the next passage.
Questions to consider:
- Given the prophecy and the immediate signs that were given, what would have been the right response of King Jeroboam and the northern ten tribes? How should their worship have changed?
- How does God’s prophecy show that He already knew they would not repent? Had they repented, would there have been an altar to destroy three hundred years later? Is there anything the Lord does not know?
- How does God’s eternal omniscience, sovereignty, justice, mercy and grace all work together when we consider Christ’s all-sufficient sacrifice for us on the cross? Is there any sin that God missed in your life that Christ did not pay for? (Hebrews 10:10)