Today’s passage: 1 Kings 17:8-24
- Zarephath is a city outside of Israel. It was actually in the region of Phoenicia that was ruled by Ahab’s father-in-law (Jezebel’s father). God’s abilities to provide did not fade outside of the borders of Israel.
- Baal worshipers believed Baal could bring the dead back to life, but this widow now saw that God alone had this power.
- The God of Israel was the one who provided for the needs of all people all over the earth. He always has been, He always will be.
Questions to consider:
- Why do you think God sent Elijah to a home and family outside of Israel during this time? What was He doing? What can we learn from this?
- In order to truly learn and believe in the Lord, what would this woman have also needed to understand about Baal? Can both Baal and Yahweh be sovereign?
- Can other people in other parts of the world believe in Buddhism, or Islam, or Hinduism, or even Atheism and be right? What must they hear and know? (Romans 10:14-17) What part can we have in the world hearing the truth of the Gospel?