Today's passage: Ephesians 5:15-21
- We ALL must pursue wisdom and understanding from the Word of God so that we can be growing in wise discernment.
- The opposite of “Look carefully” would be to live haphazardly or to “go with the flow”.
- Drunkenness takes away your inhibition to sin. Being filled with the Spirit sharpens your resolve for righteousness.
- Being filled with the Spirit is not holy drunkenness.
- Spirit-filled Christians are not “loopy” for Jesus. They are under control, being guided by Scriptural truth.
- Singing is given in Scripture as a way for the church to teach one another!
- A united church will be mutually submissive, everyone working to serve everyone, motivated by our worship of Jesus.
Questions to consider:
- Are you living with purpose or does there seem to be a pattern in your life of continually falling prey to the latest “crisis”? Are there “life lessons” that you are living by that aren't from God's Word? Are you being “tossed to and fro” by the waves and currents of life and bad teaching? How could you know? Where would you get the answers?
- Why do you think “spiritual experiences” like tongues, visions, voices, etc. seem to be held in higher regard than righteous living? Which one is easier to “experience”? Which one is actually a ministry of the Holy Spirit?
- If singing songs during our worship is also a teaching ministry of the church, what should be true of every song we sing? Why is it so important that we sing songs that are biblically and doctrinally sound?