Today's passage: Genesis 24:52-67
- When Abraham's servant heard Rebekah would be allowed to come, he put his praise where it ultimately belonged, to the Lord. God had blessed his journey.
- The family's blessing of Rebekah fit right into the promised blessing of God for Abraham's descendants.
- “It was customary for a woman to cover her face with a veil during the period of betrothal.” – Desmond Alexander (ESV Study Bible)
Questions to consider:
- How might the effort to have Abraham's servant stay longer foreshadow Laban's later deceitful actions with Jacob (Genesis 29:23-25)? Who was involved in asking this question? How might this have also carried forward to Rebekah's own relationship with Jacob?
- In what way does the blessing of Rebekah's family correlate to God's promise to Abraham? In what way would this blessing come true for Israel? How is it ultimately fulfilled through the offspring, Jesus Christ?