Today’s passage: Isaiah 31
- They could have argued whether Egypt was stronger than Assyria, comparing horses, chariots, troops, and weapons. God’s strength is not measured by man’s standards.
- Verse 3 – “The Egyptians are man, and not God, and their horses are flesh, and not spirit.”
- 1 Corinthians 1:23 – “We preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles.”
- Verse 6 – “Turn to him from whom people have deeply revolted.”
- Assyria was going to be defeated by a force that was not of man, by a Rock that will never pass away.
Questions to consider:
- What kinds of earthly strengths do you sometimes “wish” God had for you? What are your “horses and chariots” that you wish God would provide for your security?
- What things do you turn to for those “horses and chariots” when God doesn’t appear to be providing the way you want?
- What truths about God help you to cast all those idols away? Why is Jesus better?