Today’s passage: Isaiah 37:1-20
- Hezekiah chose wisely. He went to the Lord and the Lord responded, “I will make him fall.”
- Hezekiah also understood what the king of Assyria did not. God is not one among many gods, He is the one true God, creator of all things, Lord of hosts.
- This prayer in verse 20 appeals to the truth of God’s power and glory, “That all the kingdoms of the earth may know that you alone are the LORD.”
- No one else had been able to stand against Assyria. No other gods could contend.
- Psalm 46:10
Questions to consider:
- When was Hezekiah justified in his request? With whom had the king of Assyria picked this fight? What was the matter of highest importance in this crisis? What issues may have felt more worrisome at the time?
- What is the most significant issue at stake in our culture today? What issues may feel more worrisome?
- How should we look at the issues in the world around us? How does God through the Scriptures speak to the issues of our day? When people disagree with Scripture, who are they rejecting? What do the people around us need most?