Today’s passage: Isaiah 53
- This prophecy concerning the Suffering Servant, Jesus Christ, began in Isaiah 52:13.
- This prophecy was written approximately 700 years before the birth of Christ.
- Jesus Christ was pierced for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities, chastised to bring us peace, wounded for our healing.
- Our greatest “sickness” is not physical. Jesus healed our greatest problem, our sin. Sin brings eternal death, in Christ we have been eternally healed.
- Jesus was satisfied in His suffering because He saw in it our salvation.
Questions to consider:
- How does this chapter help us to better understand the truth of Jesus dying in our place as our substitute? What happened at the cross that took the penalty of our sin away and purchased our freedom?
- Sometimes after reading this chapter we might thing, “How do people not understand…especially the Jewish people?” How does John 3 help us to answer this question? (See John 3:1-21, especially verses 8, 10, 19)
- How does this fulfilled prophecy make your heart swell with joy and love for our Savior? Why is it only right for us to highly esteem and obey the One who was despised and rejected?