Today’s passage: James 1:19-27
- Man’s anger does not produce righteousness. By God’s grace, His Word does.
- The Bible is not to be read and biblical sermons are not to be preached or listened to for sport. If we “enjoy” a sermons or a devotionals but are not growing and changing, we are deceived.
- Three marks of a true and maturing believer:
- They are growing in controlling their tongue.
- They are willing to help those who can’t help them back.
- They are growing in pure and holy conduct, pursuing righteousness.
Questions to consider:
- When we think that God’s Word is not working, and if we should become angered and yell at or cold-shoulder our brothers and sisters in Christ, or our children, what are we actually trying to accomplish? How are we trying to accomplish it? What have we placed our faith in? What happened to us in that process?
- What is the condition of the heart for the person who receives God’s Word in such a way that they grow? What is promised to that person?
- How does verse 18 feed and give life to this passage? Why are we able to change in the ways this passage prescribes? What is the only proper (And only effective) motivation to pursue this growth in meekness and humility?