Today’s passage: John 1:29-34
- Today we read the climax of John the Baptist’s ministry and life! He was tasked with preparing the way and pointing people to the coming Messiah. On that day he declared, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!”
- Jesus is the Lamb of God because he would Himself become the “Lamb” slaughtered as a sacrifice for our sins (1 Corinthians 5:7).
- The Spirit of God descended on Jesus and remained. This was not a temporary work of the Spirit as in the Old Testament prophets and narratives. The Spirit would remain with Christ (Isaiah 11:1-2).
- This aspect of John the Baptist’s testimony further confirms fulfilled prophecy about the Christ.
Questions to consider:
- What is the nature of John the Baptist’s testimony? In what way is he an eye-witness testimony? In what way is he speaking like an Old Testament prophet? Why are both important to the Apostle John’s mission to convince the reader of who Jesus is?
- What did Jesus accomplish for all who believe in Him when He served as our Passover Lamb?
- What will be said of the Lamb in days to come (Revelation 5:11-14)? How can knowing what the Lamb did and what He will do help you to live for Him today?