Today's passage: John 14:15-31
- Christ ascended to the Father, and the Spirit came. The disciples were “losing” Jesus and gaining the ministry and indwelling of the Holy Spirit. And we have Him today!
- Those who love God, have God, and follow/obey God.
- For example, a husband who says he loves his wife while he is unfaithful to her is not speaking the truth. That is not love.
- If you love Christ you are following Him (Not, you will follow someday, but you are following).
- Before Jesus was arrested, He made sure to let the disciples know the Jews were only able to take Him because it was God's plan. God was always in control.
Questions to consider:
- Why would the disciples have rejoiced in Jesus' departure if they were loving Him rightly? What was the purpose of His going away? How could the disciples have been exited for Jesus?
- How does a right understanding of what love is help us understand what conversion should like like and result in?
- In what way did Jesus leave “peace” with His disciples (And with us)? The Holy Spirit was not an empty parting gift! How did His promises ensure our victory and our ability to persevere while we await His return?