Today's passage: John 17:6-19
- Jesus manifesting God's “name” to the people the Father had given Him could also be referred to as showing who God is to His people or simply making God known.
- At this point, Jesus is praying for His disciples (The twelve, minus Judas Iscariot). Though, in the next passage, we will see that Jesus had more people in mind for this prayer!
- Jesus' prayer for His disciples:
- Perseverance (God's keeping them)
- Joy in Christ
- Protection from Satan
Questions to consider:
- What do we learn about the relationship between the Father and the Son in this passage? What unity is evident? What actions on behalf of the other are happening?
- How does this unity and service translate to the disciples of Jesus? How would their actions, faithfulness, and growth in Christ-likeness show unity in each other and in Christ?
- From where do we receive sanctification (Verse 17)? From where do we find joy (Verse 13)? From where does Christ receive glory (Verse 10)?