Today's passage: John 5:19-29
- From the previous verse, we learned the Jewish authorities wanted to kill Jesus because he didn't keep their man-made rules and He made Himself equal with God. In today's passage, Jesus responds.
- God the Father and God the Son are united in purpose and power. They are equal in deity but have different roles within the Godhead.
- “Whoever does not honor the Son does not honor the Father.” You cannot be in fellowship with the Father if you have rejected the Son.
- The modern Jews who have rejected Jesus as their Messiah are not being obedient or pleasing to the Lord. They are not followers or worshippers of God.
- When the end comes, all those who have rejected God's Messiah will be judged.
Questions to consider:
- What are the things Jesus says He can and will do that show He is God? Why must a person believe in Jesus as the Son of God?
- Even though modern Jews claim to be worshipping God, why are they not? Is it permissible for the worshipper to change the terms of worship without the approval of the One who is worshipped? Does the speed limit on your road change when you believe it is different than what the sign says? Does the fine get reduced when you tell the judge you don't believe in his authority to give you a fine?
- What will be true for all Christians when Christ's voice calls out for the resurrection? To what will we be raised? What does NOT await us (The last word of verse 29)? Why is this true? What reason do we have to give thanks to God and share these truths with others?