Today’s passage: John 8:31-38
- A disciple of Jesus Christ is a person who continues to sit under His teaching, believes what He has said, and grows in obedience. This is what it means to abide in His word.
- You cannot liberate people from something they don’t want to leave behind.
- Jesus came to save people from their sin. The people overwhelmingly chose (And continue to choose) their sin over Jesus.
- It is a greater blessing from God to have victory over your sin than it is for God to heal you from sickness, bless you with money, give you success in your career, etc.
Questions to consider:
- At the root level, why do people reject Jesus? What do they love more? What don’t they want to give up? Is your presentation the reason people wouldn’t believe and repent? In what way can this encourage you to keep sharing the truth?
- What has Jesus given you the freedom to do? Do you have to sin? Are you bound to do what is wrong? What are you free to do? How is that different than the way you were before you were saved and liberated?
- What sin struggle could you take to the Lord in prayer, seek His Word and strive to grow in? What might happen in the lives of Christians as victory over these sin issues becomes increasingly more important to us than any other area of our lives we may fret over (Matthew 6:33)?