Today’s passage: Judges 18:14-31
- With the mentions of the “gods” that had been made, we have confirmation that the worship of Yahweh had become a polytheistic practice in the minds of all these Israelites.
- This narrative was written in such a way to give us a shocking ending. The unnamed Levite who had become Micah’s priest for hire, and then happily left him for a better job…was a descendant of Moses.
- In this chapter, we are introduced not to an individual who had abandoned the Lord, but an entire tribe.
Questions to consider:
- How would this passage contrast with the idea that success is always a sign of blessing and right actions/motives?
- In what way should we be alarmed by the way the Tribe of Dan and Moses’ descendant seemed to have no idea they were in the wrong? How do I know that the things I think and do are right? How can I rightly (Righteously) measure that?
- Was Jonathan the Levite automatically a godly man because he was from Moses’ lineage? Am I a Christian because my parents are Christians? What must I do to be saved?