Today’s passage: Judges 8:1-21
- The people of Succoth and Penuel are within the nation of Israel. As Gideon begins to chase after the Midianites on his own, the people lose interest and personal offence is taken.
- Gideon fulfilled his promises and more. He didn’t just take down the tower in Penuel, he also killed all of its men. Again, these were Israelites!
- Gideon twice invoked the name of the Lord in order to intimidate people.
- Gideon’s name means, “Hacker”.
Questions to consider:
- How did Gideon ease the tension between himself and the Ephraimites? What was the nature of his comments?
- What was Gideon trying to accomplish by having his son kill Zebah and Zalmunna? How might the flattering words of these men concerning Gideon and his brothers give us a hint?
- How are the words of Gideon becoming increasingly separate from his actions? How is he using the name of the Lord? How are his promises and flattery proving empty?