Today’s passage: Luke 10:1-24
- Some repeats of helpful thoughts from when Jesus sent out the twelve in Luke 9:1-6.
- Fire and brimstone coming down from the heavens is not the sole indicator of the greatest severity of sinfulness. Neither is sunshine and earthly prosperity an automatic indication that all is well. (Psalm 73)
- When you share the gospel message, you are an answer to prayer. If/When people tell you “no”, they aren’t rejecting you, they are rejecting the King of Kings.
Questions to consider:
- What were the two reasons Jesus gave the seventy-two to not be so impressed with their power over the demons (Verses 18-20)? (1) Whose power was on display? Who has ultimate authority? (2) What miracle is most amazing and worthy of our awe and wonder?
- How does verse 22 compare with John 6:40-47? Who will believe the gospel message that we share?
- What is our role in evangelism? When have we succeeded (Our obedience to proclaim or their conversion)? Who guarantees the ultimate victory of the church (Matthew 16:18 – “I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.“)?