Today’s passage: Luke 1:26-33
- Mary was shown favor…she was a favored one. This means Mary was not given the role of mother to Jesus because she was full of grace to bestow, but because God poured out favor/grace on her. Mary needed a savior just like we all do.
- Isaiah 7:14 – Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
- The mention of Joseph being of the house of David was a hint at who Jesus was going to be (Joseph adopted Jesus as his own, therefore Jesus was Joseph’s legal heir). Then, verses 31-33 come right out and tell us exactly who Jesus is!
- Jesus means, Jehovah (Or Yahweh) saves. Jesus is our salvation!
- Jesus is the Son of God, God the Son.
- Jesus is the King of Kings.
- Jesus is King forever!
Questions to consider:
- What made Mary special? What did Gabriel tell her?
- What did Gabriel tell Mary about the baby she was going to have? What is Jesus? Who is Jesus?
- What was Jesus going to do before he reigned forever? How was He to become our savior? (Isaiah 52:13-53:12)