Today’s passage: Luke 17:20-37
- The fact that the Pharisees were asking Jesus about the coming kingdom again at this point displays more mockery than curiosity.
- The kingdom of God didn’t come according to the Pharisees’ expectation and desires. So, they rejected it.
- When Jesus comes again to rule and reign, there will be no mistaking it.
- Those being taken away in this passage do not refer to the rapture. These illustrations are being compared by Jesus to times of judgment. The ones being taken away here are being taken away to judgment.
Questions to consider:
- Given the words and actions of the Pharisees, how do you think they would have envisioned the coming of the Messiah and the kingdom? How was their thinking wrong and backwards?
- If people are “eating and drinking” and pursuing the best things this world has to offer, what kind of life is their “dream life”? What kinds of things will prove to be paramount in the heart that is longing for the kingdom of God?
- Whose kingdom has your heart and affections? Are you ready?