Today’s passage: Luke 20:19-47
- The Jewish leaders had an evil plot that required evil actions and they carried them out. The ends justified the means. They knowingly sinned and justified it.
- Even in their falsified attempts, they could not find any fault in Jesus!
- Even though Jesus caused them to marvel, their minds were already made up. They wanted Him dead. They refused to believe that the Son of David, the Son of God was right in front of them.
- Jesus responded with his own question to the religious leaders, except his question would have led to life if they had heard and repented.
- Had one of the religious leaders received the compliment from verse 39, they would have left happy. Jesus is not into empty praise. He does nothing “for a pretense”.
- Death ends marriages but it doesn’t end our existence. God is the God of the living. Abraham, Moses, David, Peter, Paul, and every other person in history who puts their faith in the promise of God’s grace through the sacrificed Messiah is and/or will be worshiping the LORD forever!
- And…pay your taxes.
Questions to consider:
- What had these religious leaders already decided before they asked these questions? It is often better to ask questions than to make accusations…however, is it possible to sinfully manipulate people with your questions?
- If you find yourself being motivated often in the same way that the scribes are (The praise of people), what do you need to do? Why does a heart of worship for God bring exceedingly more joy and freedom than pleasing people?
- Who are those who will be considered worthy to attain to that age, where we will live forever like the angels and as the children of God? What makes us worthy? What makes others not worthy?