Today’s passage: Luke 22:39-53
- We are blind to our blindness and are often prone to think too little of our sin. Jesus knew what he was about to go through. He knew the judgment that was coming. He was in agony.
- Example: Jesus told the disciples to pray about temptation, they slept.
- God the Son (Holy and righteous) did not desire to have our sin placed on Him and to endure judgment. He did desire and was willing to submit to God the Father’s perfect will.
- Blood oozing from the skin is a real thing. It is called hematidrosis and it only occurs under extreme physical and/or emotional distress.
- There were three reasons Jesus told Peter to put the sword away. (Matthew 26:52-54)
- 52 Then Jesus said to him, “Put your sword back into its place. For all who take the sword will perish by the sword.
- 53 Do you think that I cannot appeal to my Father, and he will at once send me more than twelve legions of angels?
- 54 But how then should the Scriptures be fulfilled, that it must be so?”
- The only reason they were able to arrest Jesus at this time is because it was God’s sovereign will (Verse 53).
Questions to consider:
- What was so ironic about the manner in which Judas betrayed Jesus? Why is flattery sinful?
- How did Jesus treat those who had come to capture Him? How did He embody truth and love?
- Was Jesus captured against His will? Were the “bad guys” winning in this passage? Who was in control and accomplishing all He had purposed to do?