Today’s passage: Mark 8:11-21
- For additional details concerning verse 11-13, read Matthew 12:38-42.
- If all these Pharisees wanted was some visual evidence, then there was plenty of evidence to have been seen. And there would be evidence to come in the resurrection.
- No sign or declaration from the heavens would have been enough (Luke 16:31). What they needed (And what all people need) is a change of heart.
- Leaven represented sin. The “leaven” of the sinful actions and teaching of the Pharisees had been working to “leaven the whole lump” of Israel (1 Corinthians 5:6-7).
- Even though they had been with Jesus throughout this time, even the disciples did not yet understand. Even once they did, Jesus informed them who had opened their eyes and ears to the truth (Matthew 16:16-17).
Questions to consider:
- How does the end of verse 11 really show the motive behind the request from the Pharisees? What did they expect (And want) Jesus to do? Did they want Him to be their Messiah? What must be the condition of our hearts when we come to the Lord in His Word and in prayer?
- What parallel can we see in this passage between Jesus’ healing the physically blind and deaf with the characteristics of an unbelieving heart? What healing do the hearts of mankind need to be able to see and hear the truth?
- Are there any concerns that are consuming your thoughts today? How can this passage help you to trust the Lord and keep those concerns from becoming a blind-fold, preventing you from seeing Christ?