Today’s passage: Matthew 1:18-25
- Biologically, Jesus is Mary’s son. The seed of the woman.
- Jesus is NOT Joseph’s son biologically. He was born to a virgin woman, conceived by the Holy Spirit. Jesus is the Son of God.
- Legally, by a one-of-a-kind adoption, Jesus is Joseph’s son. The son of David (verse 20)
- So, Jesus is fully man, fully God, and the rightful King.
- Remember, the name of “Jesus” means, “The LORD (Yahweh) saves.” Jesus was coming to save His people from their sins.
- “Immanuel,” meaning “God with us” reminds us that Jesus is God the Son.
- The quote in verse 23 is from Isaiah 7:14. Jesus is fulfilling prophecy. We will see many Old Testament prophecies fulfilled as we continue to read through the Gospel of Matthew. Jesus wasn’t a surprise according to Scripture. He was exactly who the Old Testament said He was going to be. He did exactly what the Old Testament said He was going to do.
Questions to consider:
- How do you think you would have responded if you were Mary? What difficulties/consequences would have been presented as a result of being pregnant prior to her marriage?
- How do you think you would have responded if you were Joseph? What difficulties/consequences would have been presented as a result of marrying a woman who is already pregnant?
- What made the difference for Joseph and Mary? Why were they able to handle this situation seemingly so well?
- What do you think it was like having God the Son as your baby? (Remember: Jesus is fully God AND fully human!)
- Why did God the Son need to be fully human? (Hint: Acceptable sacrifice)