Today’s passage: Matthew 12:38-45
- Jesus had just healed a demon possessed man (Not to mention all the other miracles done thus far).
- Jesus here foretells his death, burial and resurrection. A sign certainly on the scale of amazement they were asking Him for here. Having just been rebuked, they were upping the demand for better signs. They may very well have left that day feeling justified in their unbelief because He didn’t perform for the them on demand.
- The belief of Gentile people is contrasted here with these Jewish people’s refusal to believe.
- Jesus compares the Jews’ rejection and wickedness to the worsened state of a demon possessed man (Which He had just healed). Jesus just called these men a “brood of vipers” and He is stating they are only going to get worse.
Questions to consider:
- Did Jesus fail to prove who He is? Did He raise from the dead?
- If a person determines in their heart to reject Jesus, is there any sign that will persuade them?
- Why do you think people who refuse to repent, blame God for their lack of repentance? Where does that come from?