Today's passage: Matthew 16:1-12
- The Pharisees and Sadducees did not come to learn or sincerely ask questions. They came to test Jesus.
- Signs are to be read, not revered. Jesus is better than signs.
- The people did not want Jesus, they wanted what they thought the Messiah could give them.
- The disciples were not confused by Jesus' warning because they were stupid, but because they were lacking in faith.
Questions to consider:
- Why do you think the disciples were lacking in faith at that moment? What was their focus?
- What are some things you would be prone to love or desire that Jesus could give you MORE than Jesus Himself? (Another way to ask this question: Have you ever been angry with God for not answering your prayer?)
- What does the illustration of leaven remind us of when we think of the consequences of false teaching and sin? Once you have spoken, can you choose how far the consequences will go?