Today’s passage: Matthew 17:1-13
- The Greek word for transfigured is the word from which we get metamorphosis.
- In suggesting the building of tabernacles for Jesus, Moses and Elijah, Peter again mistakenly thinks there is a shortcut that avoids the cross. But, let’s not be hard on him! How bewildering and shocking would it be to see this?
- In 2 Peter 1, Peter rightly states that on this day they witnessed “Majestic Glory.” And they were terrified.
- Jesus reaffirms that John the Baptist was the fulfillment of the prophecy in Malachi.
Questions to consider:
- How bright would something have to shine before you compared it to the sun?
- How do you think you would have responded if you were on that mountain that day? How does Peter’s response and subsequent life and ministry encourage you?
- Why do you think the disciples fell on their faces, terrified? How might their view of God changed after this day?
- Why is it helpful for us to remember the “bigness” of God and the “smallness” of man?