Today’s passage: Matthew 21:23-27
- The chief priests’ and elders’ questions was phrased in a way to trick Jesus. They didn’t argue whether what He was doing was right or not, but where His authority came from.
- Jesus then responded in kind. In a sense, He was asking them, do you really want truth or incriminating content?
- The answer they gave Jesus proved they weren’t really interested in truth as much as they were in victory.
Questions to consider:
- What was the answer to their question? By whose authority was Jesus doing “these things”?
- How did the interaction within the chief priests and elders show the desire of their hearts? Did they think in regard to truth vs. fiction or in people’s opinions?
- What was Jesus’ response to people who were not genuinely interested in truth?