Today’s passage: Matthew 22:34-46
- Again, the purpose of these questions given to Jesus is to trip Him up…didn’t work.
- The Pharisees had to get in a huddle to decide what questions to ask AND how to think about the answers. They also had to meet to decide how to answer questions. They were driven by fear of man.
- Jesus’ question to them is most important of all. Who is the Christ? Their answer signifies what they were looking for in the Messiah…a king.
- The Scripture Jesus quotes is from Psalm 110. In this passage, David addresses the coming Messiah as his Lord, as Divinity.
Questions to consider:
- What does it mean to love God with all your heart, soul and mind? Are these three kinds of love or one kind of love that is comprehensive?
- In what way would it make sense that the whole Law and Prophets hangs on loving God and loving our neighbors?
- How do these two commandments point us to our need for the Messiah who did more than just reign as a king? Why do we need a savior?