Today’s passage: Matthew 23:1-39
- This chapter contains Jesus’ final public sermon.
- Phylacteries are boxes that are worn on the head of Jewish men for prayer. They contain parchments with verses from the Law. They are a literal way to apply Deuteronomy 6:8. The Pharisees wore large ones solely to impress people.
- A proselyte is a convert. Jesus questions to what these new believers are being converted.
- Even after all of these “woes”, Jesus shares His desire to care for these people.
Questions to consider:
- What are the marks of great leadership shared in this passage?
- What are the marks and the goals of hypocritical and poor leadership?
- What was the consequence for those who chose to follow in the way of these leaders in Matthew 23?
- Who was all included in Jesus’ call at the end of the chapter? Who had the opportunity to repent?