Today’s passage: Matthew 26:69-75
- The people pointing out Peter were servant girls and bystanders. Not one of them had the authority to do anything.
- Peter’s denials were increasingly extravagant and violent, even though the same people were probably not around to hear them more than once.
- Peter had adamantly insisted he would ever deny Jesus Christ just the day before.
Questions to consider:
- What would have been Peter’s motivation to deny Jesus? What was he avoiding? What are some things that could have been troubling him throughout the night?
- How could it have been so easy for Peter to promise Jesus his loyalty and then curse and swear against him in another setting with different circumstances?
- What kinds of circumstances make it the hardest for you to be faithful to your Lord? What do those times of failure reveal about the desires of our hearts?
- Praise God for His grace and mercy toward us! What is the proper response when we fall? How do we prepare for success in the future? Who do we esteem the most?