Today’s passage: Matthew 28:11-15
- The soldiers were risking much in exchange for the money. They could have been executed for their failure to guard the tomb.
- The chief priests and elders heard the report, came up with a lie and paid soldiers (Probably a great deal of money) to spread it. They didn’t even try to refute the truth!
- Even though the chief priests and elders knew that Jesus was no longer in the tomb and that a miracle had happened, they refused to believe. (2 Corinthians 4:4)
Questions to consider:
- Can you think of some reasons that the story of the disciples stealing Jesus’ body would be ridiculous? Was it just the chief priests and elders who refused to believe?
- Why didn’t these Jewish leaders believe? What was their mission?
- How should their rejection of the obvious encourage us to share the Gospel with the lost? Who has to be on our side for our witness to be effective?