Today’s passage: Numbers 34
- In today’s chapter, God defines the boundaries of the nation of Israel and designates the men who would be responsible to gather for parceling out the inheritance of the land to each tribe.
- Here is a map which displays the boundaries as described by the Lord and the land which had already been set apart for the tribes of Reuben, Gad and the half tribe of Manasseh east of the Jordan.
- The list of the chiefs (or heads) of each tribe are listed according to the regions they would inherit from south to north.
Questions to consider:
- What differences do you see on this map from what you have seen of Israel’s maps before? Are there any cities that look familiar to you but that you’ve never heard of being part of Israel?
- There is only one head of a tribe who we’ve heard of before, from the tribe of Judah. What was his story and why is he unique in this list (Numbers 13:30)? What promise from God was Caleb about to enjoy?