Today’s passage: Numbers 4
- This chapter details the responsibilities of each clan in the tribe of Levi: The Kohathites, Gershonites and Merarites.
- Aaron and his sons (The priests) were part of the Kohathite clan. This is why they were responsible for the initial handling, care and wrapping of the most holy things before anyone else in the clan was allowed to be near or see them (Verse 15).
- With these instructions and the knowledge of which Levites were to carry what objects, the Lord had prepared Israel to move (Themselves and the tabernacle). They were still in the wilderness and now prepared to move toward the Promised Land.
Questions to consider:
- How do these first few chapters fit into the greater narrative of Israel’s history and journey? Where has Israel been? Where are they going? Why did this instruction need to be given?
- In what ways were the Levites and priests to protect the items of the tabernacles and therefore Israel’s relationship with God (And their reverence of Him)? Both practically and spiritually?