Today's passage: Ruth 4:13-22
- God provided an heir. The line was saved, the land and inheritance redeemed. Naomi (Who had called herself embittered) was blessed.
- Ruth had been unable to conceive in her marriage to Mahlon. God gave her the gift of conception. Life is a gift that starts at conception.
- Ruth loved Naomi! This love is not an emotional feeling but the expression of a covenant commitment. This is the kind of love that we are called to give.
- This special baby boy is very special indeed. He would become the grandfather of King David, and therefore, in the line of the Messiah. (Matthew 1:1-17)
Questions to consider:
- What insight does this passage give us to the value of life? How should we view every life that is given?
- What insight does this passage give us to the nature of love? What is a biblical definition of love? What would be a cheap substitute definition of love?
- Beyond the amazing details of this story, why is it in the Scripture? What is a major reason we need to know this narrative? How is God's covenant faithfulness and love put on display towards all of us in this short book?