Today’s passage: Zechariah 9
- These first eight verses are believed to speak of Alexander the Great’s conquest through the regions surrounding Israel. Alexander never fought against Jerusalem (Verse 8a). And Christ the King will ensure no one ever defeats her again once He begins His reign (Verse 8b).
- Chapters 9-14 give prophecy concerning the first and second advents of Christ.
- The triumphal entry is depicted in verse 9 (Matthew 21:5).
- The Jewish people were told in advance that their Messiah would be from the line of David, just, bringing salvation, and humble (Verse 9).
- In Christ’s second coming, He will bring the final victory (Verse 15, Revelation 19:11-21)
Questions to consider:
- Why will God save His people (Verse 11)? Is it because of their ability to obey? Whose word/promise and whose blood makes our salvation sure?
- What is the stronghold to which God had called His people to return? Where/Who was and is their safety?
- If we look to other things or people in this world for safety, what will we find? Who is our place of refuge and peace? (Psalm 46:1)