Today’s passage: Ecclesiastes 4:1-16
- Mankind is prone to care/think about himself/herself. The times we would most often think of others is to compare ourselves (Envy) or to consider what we might get out of them.
- Thinking only of myself will result in my own destruction…and at my own hands.
- It is better/happier to be “poor” and have loving relationships than to be “wealthy” and be alone.
- It is best to work hard together and to rest together in proper balance.
- Enjoy your time with others today! Merry Christmas!
Questions to consider:
- Why would it be better to ask, “How are we doing?” than to ask, “How am I doing?”
- How have the expectations of “Individualism” and “Self-Esteem” in our culture actually made us more sad, depressed, and isolated?
- When you envy other people, what is it they have that you want? How does your envy of that apparent possession prove to you that obtaining it would never make you happy?