Today’s passage: Jeremiah 1:1-19
- Anathoth is a town just three miles north of Jerusalem.
- Jeremiah’s time of ministry spanned from the reign of King Josiah into the Babylonian exile.
- God did not change Jeremiah’s mind by telling Jeremiah how great and important Jeremiah was. God told Jeremiah he should serve because of how great and important God is.
- God has not called us to be so awesome that people become Christians. He has called us to point people to His awesomeness.
Questions to consider:
- What does God’s knowledge of Jeremiah (Verse 5) tell us about the sovereignty of God? What does it also tell us about the sanctity of life, including in the womb?
- What did Jeremiah feel disqualified him from service? On whose characteristics was he focusing? Why was the ministry of Jeremiah acceptable/qualified? On whose characteristics did the ministry depend?
- What message was God specifically giving Jeremiah to share? How did God say the people of Judah would respond? Was it going to look like Jeremiah was on the right side or the wrong side from the perspective of the people? What can we learn from this?