Today’s passage: 1 John 3:16-24
- Christ set the standard for measuring love. We know love because Jesus exemplified it for us in the Gospel!
- Our sins were not washed away because Jesus had feelings for us. He did something! Christ’s action in going to the cross paid the penalty of our sin.
- In the same way, our love is exemplified not just in how we feel, but in what we do.
- When we see our lives changed and changing by the grace of God, we also see the Spirit of God working in and through us for the benefit of others. It’s hard to see this happening in our lives and simultaneously doubt whether or not we have been saved.
Questions to consider:
- We do what we do because we want what we want. If we truly have a desire to be pleasing to God and to love people, what will we do?
- How would you answer the question, “Can we get anything we ask God for?” based on the context of this passage? What is true of the one asking and what kinds of things does a fully devoted follower of Jesus ask for?
- How could this passage (Among others in 1 John) help you to minister to a person who is struggling with assurance of their salvation?