Today’s passage: 1 John 5:1-5
- People who have been born of God believe, and believers love.
- Because the whole law is summed up in loving God and loving our neighbors (Matthew 22:34-40), we can say both love AND obedience are indicators of our salvation.
- Jesus has already overcome the world (John 16:32-33), therefore if you are in Christ, you have already overcome the world.
- The world does not believe. If you believe (Faith), you have overcome.
Questions to consider:
- There are different motives for obedience. What motive is pleasing to God and should be increasingly characteristic of His children?
- What did Jesus promise would be the result of our loving obedience even in this life? (John 15:10-11)
- Why have we overcome as soon as we have believed? Why are we freed from the stress of trying to overcome the world on our own strength?