Today’s passage: 1 Peter 3:18-22
- Christ set the example of suffering unjustly, on our behalf and as a result of our sin.
- There are demons who were:
- The word “Baptize” means immerse, so:
- Noah and his families were NOT immersed in the water. They were immersed in the ark and saved from the water.
- The ark pictures Christ! Therefore, the immersion that saves us is our immersion into Christ.
- Peter emphasizes that he is NOT talking about water baptism by saying “Not as a removal of dirt from the body…”
Questions to consider:
- How are we able to be saved? What had to be done? Who did the work?
- Some people ask if Jesus went to hell after He died on the cross? What does this passage teach us? What was His purpose? Where did Jesus say He was going to be the same day He died in Luke 23:43? Was He suffering for three days or did He make a quick visit to make an important announcement?
- Can you see why some people think this passage teaches we have to get baptized in water to get saved? Why is that interpretation wrong? How could you answer this question with gentleness and respect?