Today’s passage: 1 Samuel 17:1-27
- Goliath was bigger than all the Israelites. God is bigger than Goliath. Perspective.
- All Israel was filled with fear because they were thinking of themselves. Their problem was not self-esteem. Their problem was that they did not esteem God.
- Goliath certainly did not struggle with self-esteem either, and he certainly did not esteem God.
Questions to consider:
- Who at this point in the story is vulnerable to defeat? Why are they vulnerable? What battles are taking place above and beyond Israel vs. the Philistines?
- How has this battle already begun? How has David begun to set the stage for what was to come? (Verse 26) Who is the “Champion” of Israel, David or the living God?
- Who had Israel selected as their champion (1 Samuel 8:19-20)? What is Saul about to invite David to become? How would David’s and Saul’s views of this situation be contrasted?