Today’s passage: 1 Samuel 9:1-27
- Saul was a wealthy, handsome guy…just out looking for his father’s donkeys.
- God said of Saul , “He shall save my people from the hands of the Philistines.” And, “He it is who shall restrain my people.”
- Israel requested a shepherd, God gave them this handsome tall man, who was unable to find his animals. Good-looking man, terrible shepherd.
Questions to consider:
- Whose idea was it to ask the Lord for help, Saul or his servant? What did Saul appear to know about Samuel (Who was known to all Israel)?
- Who does Israel still belong to in this passage? Even though Saul is about to become king, who does God call Israel? (Verses 16-17) Whose sheep was Saul supposed to shepherd?
- Knowing that God removes and sets up kings (Daniel 2:21) and that God can turn the heart of the king wherever He will (Proverbs 21:1), how should we look at our “rulers”? Where must our hope be placed?