Today’s passage: 1 Samuel 25:23-44
- Abigail made an appeal to David to spare Nabal and his men based on these things:
- Nabal was a fool.
- She took care of David’s requests for provisions.
- David wouldn’t want to have regret when he became king.
- The Lord was in control and was going to fight for David.
- The final element of Abigail’s appeal proved to be true within ten days.
- It would have been unlawful for Michal to divorce her husband to come back to David (Deuteronomy 24:1-4). She was now one flesh with another man.
- The Law also forbade kings from accumulating wives… (Deuteronomy 17:14-17)
Questions to consider:
- How did Abigail show great care and wisdom in her response to David?
- What elements are important to making a proper appeal? Who was Abigail trying to help?
- Does God promise to take vengeance within ten days for everyone every time? As a Christian who has been saved by grace, what should we pray for and hope for concerning those who appear to be our “enemies”? How can we respond in like Christ in the face of opposition?