Today’s passage: 1 Samuel 17:48-58
- The battle was over faster than it seemed to take for it to get started.
- Both Dagon and Goliath fell face forward before the Lord and lost their heads (5:4).
- Saul needed to know who this young man was. He had to follow through with his promises from verse 25.
- Saul had enjoyed David’s service for a while now, and yet did not recognize him. He wouldn’t forget about David anymore. His aloofness was about to turn into jealousy.
Questions to consider:
- Why did David win against Goliath? Why did Israel’s army transition from fearful men to mighty warriors?
- It would not be right to use this narrative as an “I am David and God’s gonna knock down all my giants.” What is the point of this narrative? What can we learn from it about God?
- How does this passage encourage us to obey, to fight against sin, to trust God’s Word?