Today’s passage: 1 Samuel 7:3-17
- After Israel’s lament (Verse 2), Samuel commands them, if they were going to follow the Lord, they must follow the Lord alone. (Exodus 20:3)
- God defeated the Philistines and gave Israel victory and peace in a way that could only be explained as having been His doing.
- Ebenezer means, “Stone of help”. This is what we sing about in Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing.
- The greatest victory in this passage was not the defeat of the Philistines. It was Israel’s repentance.
Questions to consider:
- How does the putting away of other gods coincide with following the Lord with your whole heart? (Verse 3)
- How was their repentance evidenced? When they saw a need for prayer, to what power did they turn? To whom did they ask Samuel to pray?