Today’s passage: 1 Thessalonians 1:1-3
- You can read about the birth of the church in Thessalonica in Acts 17:1-9.
- The word for “church” in verse 2 means, “called out ones”. Paul was writing this letter to those who had been called out by God from among the people of Thessalonica.
- Jesus is the Christ, our perfect substitute and savior. And, Jesus is the Lord, our sovereign master.
- Paul, Silas and Timothy prayed with thanksgiving for the church regularly, “without ceasing”. This prayer consisted of three things.
- The works that resulted from the church’s faith.
- The way the church labored sacrificially for one another.
- The way the church maintained hope by placing it correctly in Jesus Christ.
Question to consider:
- How important are the titles of Jesus given their meaning? He is the Lord, and our Christ!
- In what ways can you see growth in your life in the three areas mentioned in Paul’s prayers (Verse 3)?
- In what ways could you pray in thanksgiving to God for your church’s growth in these three areas?