Today’s passage: 1 Thessalonians 2:9-16
- Paul, Silas and Timothy sacrificially loved the church as a mother, and encouraged their growth as a father.
- The words of men manipulate people into external actions. The Word of God changes people from the inside out.
- Paul knew the change in these new believers in Thessalonica was real when they withstood persecution.
Questions to consider:
- If Christ paid the penalty of our sin in full (1 John 2:2), and if Christ’s righteousness has been put to our account (Romans 4), why should we “walk in a manner worthy of God”? (For some help: Romans 12:1-8, 2 Corinthians 5:11-21, Philippians 1:3-11)
- Why was Paul’s ministry so effective? Why was his speaking so dynamic? (1 Corinthians 2:1-5)
- What will come of those who reject God and persecute Christians? Is the martyrdom of a Christian the end of the story?