Today’s passage: 2 Peter 1:16-21
- Peter is referring to the “Transfiguration” of Jesus from Mark 9:2-13.
- The Word of God (The Bible) is as prophetic as the message from the very voice of God which Peter heard that day when Jesus was transfigured.
- The way you would listen if God spoke to you while Jesus was shining in glory right before your eyes…read the Bible like that. Pay that kind of submissive attention to it until Jesus comes again.
- The Bible was written by men who were carried along by the Holy Spirit.
- The Bible is God’s Word, not the opinions of individual people.
- It means what God intended it to mean, and it only means what God intends for it to mean.
Questions to consider:
- What makes the Bible so special? How wonderful is it that God gave us a book?!? Why might we be tempted to think too little of it or take it for granted?
- If the Bible only means what God intends for it to mean, why do people disagree on many important doctrinal issues? What should we do if we find that our beliefs don’t agree with what the Bible says?
- What might be the danger of the statement, “What the Bible is saying to me is…”?