Today’s passage: 2 Samuel 7:1-17
- David wanted to build a house for God, but God is the one who builds the “house.”
- This passage contains what is called the “Davidic Covenant.” Instead of God commanding David to build Him a house, God makes an unconditional promise to David that will last for all eternity.
- A descendant of David will sit on the throne over Israel forever. (Luke 1:26-33)
- Christ never committed iniquity (Verse 14). His chastisement brought us peace and by His stripes we are healed. (Isaiah 53:5)
Questions to consider:
- What can this passage teach us about glorifying God? When we glorify God, do we actually make Him bigger or do we simply reflect the glory He already fully possesses? In light of this, why does obedience glorify God more than what we might consider a “new” idea?
- How did Solomon and every other king in David’s line (Save One) fail to rule forever? Why did these men continually fall short?
- When will this promise find it’s complete fulfillment? (Revelation 22:12, 16)