Today’s passage: 2 Samuel 24
- Compare verse 1 with the parallel passage, 1 Chronicles 21:1. God is sovereign over all.
- David’s pride in the matter (The reason Joab was right to question his motive) was in trusting in the battle readiness of the people over the protection promised by the LORD of Hosts.
- David chose the third option in order to put his hope in the mercy of God, though God could have stopped any of the three options whenever He deemed right.
Questions to consider:
- Why was David right to repent? What did he do that was wrong? Why is conviction of sin such a great gift from God?
- Why is it always right to turn to the Lord in our sin? Who is the final judge? Who alone can extend mercy?
- On what grounds are you and I given mercy? What offering provided our peace and forgiveness from our sin?